"Well, Dusty! See you're wearing a jacket today?"
"Turned off a bit chilly. Got a coffee to warm the day?"
"Always." We settled at the kitchen table with our mugs. Dusty stretched his long legs to the side and Declan presented his head for ear-stimulation.
I asked, "Did you get that deal floating?"
"Nope. Didn't sound as good in person as gossip claimed. Catch me up: Any fallout from that site owner you're stealing from? How about the guy we watched walking a trench into the town? And where's this shiny new dog of yours going---got a date, has he?"
"Declan Dog is off to meet the neighbors tomorrow. Got a shot-clinic going on. He wanted to be soigne for his matinee. Really strutting it isn't he?
"As to the Walker. I followed him the other day, Declan serving as look-out and cover. He went to the liquor store, like I thought, but came out empty-handed, as usual. Then he went to that abandoned warehouse just up the block. He disappeared behind it for a while. I walked past and couldn't see him anywhere. Got to the corner to turn back, and out he came. Then he went home. Lives up two blocks and over. It will take more tailing and time, but I'll figure it out.
"And that scary owner must be living on manufactured reputation. I've not seen hide-nor-hair of him. He doesn't get out much and never seems to check his website. Isn't in the gossip much either. I don't know, but I've quit worrying about him."
Dusty shook his head and stared hard at me. "That's exactly when you need to be on your guard. He's just waiting for the right time to zing you.
"Well thanks for the coffee. Gotta run. Let me know how Declan Dog's social outing goes."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment