Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Tripping On White

White-rabbit late. Sure hope the owner is really into his (coffee)cups today. So far, this is working out great. He either hasn't noticed me or is too busy to deal with me. Whichever.

Went out to get some of the necessary things for keeping Dog and I fed. (I don't want Declan looking at me and seeing that cartoon roast.) And we drove through a fairyland that almost made me forget the object of the trip.

We've been having some really unusual-for-us fog. Sat down on us two or three days ago and forgot where it was headed, I guess. It's so cold out there you can easily neglect to notice your surroundings. The inclination is to huddle in on yourself, hurry to get it all done, and get home to some warmth. However, once you look beyond your shivering, there's not enough time in the day to take it all in.

Freezing fog. Every single branch, every weed and bush on the prairie---white sky behind it and still the sharp white etchings stand out. Ansel Adams would have a field-day here. There's a row of trees along the defunct railroad tracks, on the way to the next town. They're cotton white, not a strip of dark bark showing. Collected frost has turned harsh wood into soft, fluffy nursery sculptures. Around houses, some evergreens are warm enough to show a dark green, and others are gray-white for contrast. An amazing sight that's worth the frozen ears and fingers that go with it.

I could rhapsodize about it until I make you sick of me, or I could just leave you with the vision and get on with my day. If you're not into weather, or black-and-white art photos, come back tomorrow. The subject is sure to be different.

Oh before I slip out the back door: I just finished a re-read of George Orwell's Animal Farm. If you haven't read it recently---or ever---pick it up. Very short book, easy to carry around, and a pretty appropriate read if you, like me, are alarmed by the tyranny and inequality you're seeing around you. Pay close attention to the correlations and enjoy. Bye.

No comments: