Monday, April 16, 2007

Happy Deadline Extension Day

And so far, that's all that made the news. The instructions released by this state for completing and filing give two different dates. Today and tomorrow are both listed as the deadline, in separate sections. I couldn't put up with being as ignorant as a government instruction release, so I went looking for consistency on my own.

Did you know that this is D.C. Compensated Emancipation Day? Do you have any more idea than I did of what that could possibly mean? Did it puzzle you that Monday seems to be a Federal Holiday you'd never heard of? Or are you so caught up in the yearly struggle that you just said, "Whatever gave me an extra day, I am grateful for."

The link below will explain this far better than I can. Check it out. And wonder, along with me, why it took so long to be recognized or, maybe, why it is finally being recognized.

And Wikipedia says that the "they" in charge of these things, made out forms, released them, and then discovered they were facing two, consecutive holidays, messing with the usual April 15th deadline. Of course, none of this made the news. Public Service announcements are only for important things.

http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/featured_documents/dc_emancipation_act/

No comments: