Dusty isn’t here. I’ll fill him in whenever he shows up. But I just knew you were as curious as I have been to find out about that fellow that, as Dusty put it, walks a groove into our small town.
You do remember the one I mean? Every day he makes this short trip past my house, toward the only store in town. But when he comes back---surprise! No purchases dangle in a plastic shopping bag. I have watched this happen for years. We exchange greetings, and that’s the extent of his interest in me. But I? I have been getting “curiouser and curiouser” as the months roll by. I, at last report, had followed him, lost him after the store, and rediscovered him---or rather he suddenly appeared before me while I was busy looking innocent---coming back to the sidewalk from behind a defunct warehouse. Leaving me none the wiser. The whole tailing episode only added to the mystery….
Until now! I am pleased to report I have solved it. Once again I applied my considerable spying talents, aided by my trusty canine cover. When said target ducked out of sight around the back corner of the empty building, I bravely followed, allowing my dog to pull me along as if it were his decision to check out the scents of the surrounding weeds. (I only had to yank at his leash twice to keep him headed in my chosen direction.) As we, innocence our shield, strolled past the opposite corner of the back wall, there crouched our target---downing a large can of beer.
Startled---no acting there, I didn’t expect to walk right up on him---I gestured to Declan Dog and lied that I thought we were alone. The gent smiled, gestured with his beer, and explained that his wife wouldn’t allow him to drink, so he was using the advantage of his daily heart-health walk to satisfy his daily desire. I knew it! I said he was visiting the liquor store portion of the tiny establishment. I feel so Holmes-ish.
Yes, I noticed the mystery's solution hardly seems worth the energy devoted to it. You don't have to belittle my efforts, though. And Declan doesn't feel used in the least. Any excuse for a walk is a good one in his estimation.
The biggest surprise is that Manny---we introduced ourselves after a mere four years of casual contact---was so willing to talk, and not in the least put-out at our intrusion. He never even rose from sitting on his heels until the beer was properly consumed, and properly trashed in a can apparently left there for his convenience. It would appear the only one he is hiding from is his wife.
More of my dark and dangerous exploits will appear in a future issue. Never fear.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment